4.14.2011

InStyle Parties & New Barware

Hello Lovelies, I wanted to share with you my favorite books. As a lover of entertaining, this gem has become my go-to guide for all things hosting.


Chapters on parties are divided into dinner parties (spring dinner, early autumn supper, and Mediterranean dinner); holiday parties (Thanksgiving dinner, holiday cocktail party, New Year Eve's supper and Halloween cocktail buffet); occasions and theme parties (Super Bowl party, Oscar party, game night, afternoon spa party, baby shower and birthday dinner party); and summer parties (backyard luau, backyard barbecue and Tuscan dinner).


There is also an extensive resource list for invitations; barware; hors d'oeuvres; pantry items such as spices; cheese; fresh and prepared meats; seafood; specialty foods; desserts; tabletop; decor; theme elements; etc.). There is a menu, a suggestion for setting the scene (from the invitation to room decor to music), a countdown (what to do three weeks, two weeks, one week, two days, day before, morning of, etc.), wine pairing suggestions, recipes and a section on how to make it all "even easier" (such as buying rather than making dessert, paring down the centerpiece, etc.).


The chapter on how to properly stock a bar was extremely helpful. With a trusty resource like this I didn't have any trouble getting buy-in from my husband to purchase some much needed essentials. :) The beautiful photography is worth the purchase price alone. This book would make an excellent choice for a birthday or bridal shower gift. Hopefully you'll enjoy this book as much as I do!


Moving onto my new barware. Last week during a quick trip to Marshalls for some candles we came across the most exquisite Kate Spade crystal barware......wait for it.......wait for it......on clearance! Each piece still had the original tags and were $125 each and were reduced several times until I was lucky enough to scoop them up for $23 each. Cha-ching, helllllo savings! The design is called Banyan Stripe and it has been discontinued, but you can still find it online at full price.


I've been on the hunt for an ice bucket for some time now, but just wasn't finding anything that fit the bill. Needless to say I was thrilled when we came across these beauties and the pitcher is a lovely addition as well! So glad I held out until I found "the one". hahah



Last Friday my brother and sister in law met us at our place before heading out to dinner. I was thrilled to be using the new goods so soon. I jumped at the chance to whip us up some yummy concoctions from InStyle parties - the Touchdown (tequila, OJ, Lime juice and triple sec). So delicious! Both of our guests are tequila lovers so this was the perfect beginning to our night out at Tequila Jack's in Long Beach.


I'm very much looking forward to putting these bad boys to good use in the upcoming months. Who wants to come over for a cocktail party?


Till next time!
xoxo Shortious Maximus




****P.S. funny story about my nickname****
A couple weeks ago when I had the pleasure of meeting my brother's roommates girlfriend and we were all sitting down talking getting to know each other. A while later I got up for something and as I started to walk across the room in my heels (which make me just shy of 6' tall) and the hubby called out "Hey Shorty, can please grab me a beer while your up?" I didn't think anything of it until I heard the girlfriend ask all confused "Did he just call her Shorty?!?!" She is only about 5' tall, so it was pretty funny!!

6 comments:

  1. That book looks awesome! I will have to check it out. And I want to see a picture of your Kate Spade barware! I started a blog too, (I didn't want to announce it on FB, I'm weird, I know) but please check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy, just signed up to follow your blog! Welcome to the paaaartay! hahha. The picture of the barware is the second one in the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The barware looks so pretty ... great price!!! Sounds like you guys had a good time with Tequila ~ I'm a vodka girl. LoL ... too funny about your nickanme, love it! How tall are you? I'm 5'7 feel like a giant in my heels, but wear em' anyway! =) Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh duh... haha I thought the pitcher and ice bucket were separate from the barware. Oops. :) Anyways, I don't see you as a follower on my blog? Maybe it takes a minute? I feel so lame with my 4 followers. Haha but gotta start somewhere right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks T! I'm usually a vodka girl as well. I'm 5'7" too :)
    Sandy, I'm a follower now....had some user error earlier..Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shorty...cute story, and great find on the KS barware. Gotta love Marshall's!!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the blog lovin' peeps!