3.14.2011

A Mammoth of a Vacation

Our trip in one word - EPIC - and I'm being completely serious. This trip has become easier over the years and like a cozy old sweater it begs for us to come back and get wrapped up in the awesomeness of Mammoth.

There was a total of 8 of us on the trip - Hubs and I plus the inlaws, J-Bone + Tracy, and David and his buddy Dennis. We left Orange County on Sunday morning and made our way to the 15 and eventually the 395 straight up to Mammoth. The drive can be done straight through in about 4.5 hours but we like to take our time and not be rushed. We have two mandatory stops on the way up and back which are Bravo Burger in Adelanto and Erick Schat's Bakkery in Bishop. These are both a must!

We rolled into town at about 5pm on Sunday. After getting settled we headed out to the grocery store to get our food for the week. Later on that evening we went to a local ski shop to get me some new snowboard pants.

Hubs was in charge of booking our lodging this year and he did a great job! The condo association that we stay at (
Horizons 4) ranks their condos from A-C. Normally we stay at the C rated places (think 70s cabin) to save some cashola but this year we sprung for an A rated townhouse and I'm so glad we did. Our place was 2 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms and a loft with a King bed and four singles. We scored the master and I was definitely a happy camper!


Monday morning we were up bright and early for our day on the mountain. After scarfing down some breakfast we headed to Eagle Lodge to get our first session in of the trip. We boarded all morning on the Eagle lodge side of the mountain and made our way to the main lodge to get some refreshments aka tall can of Coors Light.



We hung out for a bit then made our way back to Eagle lodge for lunch. Whenever we go snowboarding we bring along our travel BBQ, it's seriously the best. We all had turkey burgers for lunch - healthy, delicious and cheap! We swigged down some margs and then headed back up for a few more hours of shredding the mountain.

Find the Margarita bottle!

That evening we must have hit the sheets at about 8pm! Snowboarding is no joke and we were beat!

Tuesday morning before we left I set up the crock pot for Chicken Tortilla soup and it was a hit! David and Dennis met up with us on Tuesday morning and we started our morning just like Monday with a little shredding on the Eagle/Canyon lodge side of the mountain.

After our little break we decided it was time to hit the top of the mountain. I've been up to the top every time we've been to Mammoth but its always a little intimidating. More pictures to come on this little adventure.

View from inside of the gondola



Adorable kiddos from Mammoth Elementary!

Tuesday night when we got back to our place we hit up the jacuzzi to soothe our sore muscles. Later on that night we enjoyed some Apples to Apples action.

We bought the 3 of 4 day passes from Costco and ended up saving a ton of money. Can you believe that the daily rate is $92 for adults!?!? Expensive but totally worth it in my opinion. With our passes we paid about $60 per day.

Wednesday was our day off from snowboarding and when we woke up it was snowing! It snowed about 4-5 inches on Wednesday.

Hubs & Jeremy putting chains on our whip

We had a lazy morning and decided to go out for breakfast. After looking around on Yelp we headed to The Stove for breakfast and my oh my was it ever delicious!

Group shot (David & Dennis were busy shredding the gnar)

Very nice Mikey!!
After breakfast we drove over to main lodge to check out the gift shop at the main lodge. Sadly nothing was calling my name but I did get a cute hot pink Mammoth sticker for my board. Later that afternoon we hit up the jacuzzi and sauna for some more relaxation.

Thursday was our last day on the mountain and it was a little bittersweet. It snowed about 6 inches Thursday and it was so much fun snowboarding in almost a full foot of powder! I've boarded in the past in fresh pow but never this much, and let me tell you it was glorious. I was definitely testing my limits this day. I even got up the courage to do some tree runs!




Love my face in this picture....I'm so in my happy place :)

Thursday evening we enjoyed the jacuzzi once again and then headed out to dinner at Burgers. I normally don't order the goods like patty melts, etc but I felt like after three days of snowboarding I deserved it! Tracy kept joking the whole time about how she eats so much that she is "eating for two." Thanks for making me feel better about getting my grub on! haha

Very tired but happy! We rounded out our trip with some yummy margaritas Gomez's. We were all so exhausted we couldn't drink more than a couple of margs. Thanks David for the drinks and the good time!

We headed out of town on Friday morning at about 10am and eventually got home at about 4pm. Thanks to everyone for making this such a smooth and enjoyable trip! Can't wait to go back!

9 comments:

  1. You look purrrty in purple L town! I like the last photo~

    And you look like you've got some snow boarding skills, go you! I'm happy you got to enjoy some vacay time in your happy place!

    Great photos! Mammoth looks so pretty!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you guys had an amazing time!! Miss you friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look like quite the professional!!!! Looks like you had an amazing time, I've been to Mammoth once and it was awesome. So glad you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your recap! Looks like you had so much fun! The snow is so pretty! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great trip!

    My husband and I are going to Mammoth in 2 weeks to ski/snowboard (staying at the Westin). He's never been and I have not been in 9 years! So let me know if you have any resturant recs or favorite runs on the Mt. (Newlywedsnextdoor@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Laura! I found your blog from Janalin's blog, don't know if I've left a comment yet... Your vacation sounded like a blast! I've never been to Mammoth, reading this definitely makes me want to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imma followin' you now.

    I love the recap! Such a fun trip. I'm beginning to eat for 3. I need help! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a glorious vacay!!! It looks like FUN!! Love the pix of the fresh powder.. Go Mikey for getting a pimp condo :) Love the last pic of you guys.. You look so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all of the sweet comments!
    @Erika I've been loving purple so much lately!
    @Sandy & Tracy - Welcome!!
    @Newlyweds I reccomend all of the places I mentioned but will email you some others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the blog lovin' peeps!